Santa Maria della Salute

One of the largest churches in Venice, Santa Maria della Salute is located between the Grand Canal and Bacino at the Punta della Dogana in Venice. It was first conceptualized in October of 1630 after the Venetian Senate promised that if the city was delivered from the plague epidemic it was experiencing, they would build a grand church dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was designed by Baldassare Longhena in 1681 and completed in 1687. The building is octagonal in layout and many instances of Marian symbolism are present. The interior is decorated by many works of art, including a painting by Titian which the church received from the convent of Santo Spirito, St. Mark Enthroned. (NB)

Back