Gallerie dell'Accademia

In 1807, during the city's occupation by Napoleon's army, the Accademia Reale di Belle Arti (an academy of sculpture, painting, and civil architecture) relocated to its current location, formerly the home of the Convento dei Canonici Lateranensi, and the Scuola della Carita. The core of the collection, which was assembled in 1750, was displayed at the cluster of repurposed buildings now known as the Gallerie dell'Accademia.